Gateway to Emerging Markets
Mauritius positions itself as an investment gateway to both Asia and Africa leading to new opportunities that can be captured by using the Mauritius Freeport as a duty-free logistics, distribution and marketing hub for the region. Logistics and warehousing facilities are readily available for the transshipment, consolidation, storage and minor processing of goods.
A wide range of Freeport activities as authorized under the Freeport Act 2004
Modern and competitive integrated logistics platform strategically located at the seaport and airport
Preferential access to markets with Mauritius membership to regional trade blocks and bilateral agreements
A wide range of value-added logistics services to local and Freeport companies at competitive costs
To operate in the Mauritius Freeport, a company need to be incorporated in Mauritius and submit an online application (https://fls.edbmauritius.org/) to the Economic Development Board (EDB) for a Freeport Certificate and benefit from the following attractive fiscal and non-fiscal incentives:
- Duty-Free and VAT free for goods and equipment imported into Freeport zones
- 3% corporate tax on export of goods
- Preferential market access
- 100% foreign ownership
- Free repatriation of profits
- No foreign exchange control
- Reduced port handling charges for goods destined for re-export
- Speed to Market Scheme: 40% subsidy on air freight costs to Europe, for textile, agri-food and jewellery products manufactured in Mauritius
- Freight Rebate Scheme: Maximum refund of USD 300 on ocean freight charges for shipping of each twenty-foot equivalent container to more than 40 ports in Africa
For more information regarding the application for a Freeport Certificate, please visit the website of the EDB provided in the useful links section or simply drop us an email.
International accolade of the Mauritius Freeport
The Mauritius Freeport won the following awards categories for the Global Freezone of the Year 2021 by the fDi Intelligence Magazines (Financial Times).